Sunday, July 27, 2008

City parks are full of

urban wildlife, but with all of its splendor and urban shelter and bliss,there were absolutely, positively no deer in the city. It was my imagination that the sound of the cars on the city street were actually a flock of deer. I would have to go to the country to find that. My mind had actually felt for one fleeting moment that I was in the country. The fact that deer could have crossed the highway and come all the way to Freedom Park made me giggle and that giggle actually gave me the courage to cross the path and continue on my way to find my brothers and sisters and go outside of my comfort zone, out of the view of Mom on the courts.
Not quite free, but striking out to find my own path to fun. The fun that can come from my own mind. The fun that is not initiated by an elder sibling or grown up. Indiana couldn't tell me what to do, he was there to tell me what not to do.
I am awake now and off I went.
I am on my last adventure of my eight year old self. I hadn't known that 8 was going to pass so quickly and that 8 was going to take me from my junior self to my major self. This was one of those rights of passage for me. Walking away from my mom's fun and not at the other children's beck and call. It is Indiana, a friend of mine and me enjoying a day at the park.

No comments: