Saturday, May 26, 2012

Webinar musings

What a cyberventure it was to go to a "Webinar".  I was so struck with the beauty and cybervenience and delight, that some of the information flew between my radar screens.
This is the second time that I signed up to go to a Webinar.  I missed the first one, because I forgot and fell asleep.  I was so upset that I had missed it. 
An hour before, I started to go into a panic attack.  How should I dress for a Webinar?  Should I eat before or after.  What happens if I don't have a webcam, {which I don't}.  What should I say, if they ask me if I had been to a Webinar before?  There were loads of questions of cyberactivity flooding my brain and I could have missed this one on purpose because of the hullaballoo.  I said, maybe I need to have Emily's newer and more loaded computer or her I{whatever}pad, pod, etc.  She wouldn't have it.  She wouldn't lend it to me for the meeting.   Maybe I needed to call the phone number for sound, since, I haven't a webcam.  The phone number looked like a number from China.  How much would that cost?   Do they charge you for all of the numbers that you put into the phone.   Now this is getting too complicated in my mind.  I am only slightly exagerating the emotional tumult. 
At 15 minutes before the meeting, I decided not to make any other arrangements other than worrying and getting upset that I already was.   I would do the long directions and see if my computer would allow me to attend the webinar, without having to call China on the phone for simulcast.  I was shocked to find out that they let you into the webinar, even if you don't have a webcam or a microphone or haven't called China.  They didn't care if you hadn't put on your makeup and weren't dressed like a moviestar.  You didn't have to be seen and see all of the people that were at the meeting.  
The information was well worth the effort.  But the anxiety attack before the meeting was laughable after.
I felt empowered.  I felt cyberpowered.  I felt State of the Arts.  I was a new millenium mommy, at last.

No comments: