Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ethan the Etruscologist!

What a beautiful thing, when the little birds tell on the wayward children. A little birdie told me that Ethan had a project. I picked up one of our encyclopedia books. We have them around the house, though they are rarely read. This one came across my path as I was searching for cables and computer speaker wires, in the shoe closet. It was in the bottom of one of the boxes of stuff from Ben's office. I was distracted, as I always am, when I find an encyclopedia book. Which one is this and where does it go? I thumbed through it and found the letterings of early people groups. I could have spent the whole day in that part of the book. It is always an interest of mine, but I had already spent 5 whole minutes oogling the Mesopotamian texts. I put it next to the computer and went on to the task at hand, repairing the speakers for my mp3. I separated the wires and tried to untangle as much of the other wires that I could.
I left that encyclopedia next to the computer and remained hopeful that there would be some excuse for taking another minute to look at the languages as my heart longed.
Then, last night, in the tire of my late afternoon nap, I called for my precious little boys to read their homework to me. Ethan says, 'I have a project and poster due. I have a project that I have to complete." I should have known, I thought. Ethan has a way of avoiding any call, unless there is a looming project. I asked the usual questions...Who?What?Where?When? How long did you know that you had this? I threw the questions aside, when I found that it was due tomorrow. It's about some old language....Cunieform? I questioned. yes, Mom, how did you know...?


A little birdie told me.

No comments: